Choosing a residential care home is a big decision, and it is important to understand the costs and fees associated with care so that you can choose the home and payment option that best meets your needs. Fees cover the cost of the care you receive and your accommodation in one of our residential care communities.
While aged care fees are subsidised by the Australian Government, you may be asked to contribute to the cost of your care and accommodation if you can afford to do so. This will be based on your income and assets assessment by Centrelink.
Basic Daily Fee
The basic daily fee is a contribution to your day-to-day living expenses.
- Helps to cover the costs of meals, cleaning, laundry, electricity.
- It is calculated by the Australian Government at 85% of the pension.
- This fee increases biannually.
- Depending on your Centrelink Income and Assets Assessment, this may be the only fee you are required to pay.
Means Tested Care Fee
The Australian Government subsidises the cost of care for individuals based on their care needs. If you have the means to support the cost of your care, you will be required to contribute.
- This fee is determined by the Centrelink Income and Assets Assessment.
- The Means Tested Care Fee is assessed quarterly and can change with your circumstances.
- There are annual and life-time caps associated with this fee.
Your ability to contribute to your accommodation depends on your Centrelink Income and Assets Assessment. The assessment will determine whether you have the ability to pay for none, some or all of your accommodation. If you are to pay for some or all of your accommodation there are a variety of rooms prices at each of MercyCare’s residential care homes. All MercyCare facilities accept some residents who are unable to pay towards their accommodation.
Accommodation costs vary between each of MercyCare’s residential care homes and the type of room you select.
For specific costs at each of our residential care communities, please click the links below.
If you are to pay for all your accommodation, we strongly recommend that you seek independent financial advice to help you choose the right accommodation payment option for you.