Providing industry-relevant skills and training to build confidence and engage migrant women
In recognition of the significant barriers faced by migrant and refugee women, MercyCare has developed the SETS Innovation program – empowering refugee and migrant women to envision their future, create goals and find employment through skills development, training, work placements and much more.
With the SETS Innovation program, we work with eligible women to:
- Discover how skills and experiences from their home country can used in Australia
- Learn about Australian workplaces, including workplace safety and expectations
- Gain relevant work experience in Australian workplaces
- Develop skills relevant to job applications, such as interview and resume workshops
- Build skills relevant to small business and micro-enterprises.
Who is eligible for the SETS program?
MercyCare’s SETS Innovation program is available to women who:
- Have lived in Australia for less than five years
- Live in the North Metro area of Perth, and
- Arrived in Australia on a Humanitarian Visa (including family stream and other selected visa types).
Eligible women will be provided with individually tailored support that is based on their needs, family situation and future aspirations. These do not need to be employment specific.
Pathways for participants include:
- Learning vocation-specific English through AMEP, focusing on industries such as hospitality, retail, aged and disability care, and childcare
- Access to education and training courses at TAFE
- Work placements in Australian workplaces, to build relevant experience
- Intensive support for women with prior business and enterprise experience, empowering them to engage in small business and micro-enterprises
- Workshops for job-readiness skills development, including resume writing and interview skills support
- Free childcare is available to all participants.
A: 4 Brewer Place, Mirrabooka
T: 08 6298 9888