Sometimes it is a struggle to get those magical greens into childrens' diets, so Ballajura Early Learning Centre cook Deanna has some sneaky tricks up her sleeve to get a few extra serves in each day.
This recipe is a proven favourite. Served with some fresh fruit on the side, it is the perfect afternoon tea for both children and adults alike to enjoy.
- 250g plain flour
- 30g caster sugar
- 85g cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 300ml soy milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract or essence
- 125ml vegetable oil
- 250g grated zucchini
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Grease and flour 2 – 3 loaf tins
- In a large bowl, sieve together plain flour, caster sugar, cocoa, baking powder and bicarb soda
- Add soymilk, vanilla and vegetable oil. Mix well
- Add grated zucchini and mix until all is well combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the prepared cake tins and bake for 25 – 30 minutes until an inserted cake skewer comes out clean.
- Leave the cakes to cool for 5 minutes in their tins then carefully remove them and put onto a cooling rack. Allow them to cool completely before slicing.