When people arrive in Australia seeking asylum, their journey is far from over. They face immediate and multiple challenges as they wait for the status of their visa to be decided - including finding work, supporting their families, securing schooling for their children and connecting to an unknown community - all of this in a language other than their own.
The Keys to Life Fund unlocks opportunities for asylum seekers, refugees and new migrants who, with few resources, are taking the next step to independence. Examples include:
- English lessons to help gain access to employment or further education
- Short skills-based courses in areas with employment prospects
- Bridging courses to higher education
- Driving lessons to increase mobility in the community
- Sporting club involvement to promote community inclusion
- Child care for parents trying to access any of the above opportunities
"Donating to the Keys to Life Fund is a way to participate in the solution because when you help the individual to success you also strengthen the community.
It has my wholehearted endorsement."
Munjed Al Muderis, 2016 MercyCare Orator, orthopaedic surgeon, author, human rights activist and former refugee.